March 8, 2016
Hello Lazaridis Students! As midterms come to an end, and we look toward the end of the semester, I encourage you to begin considering how you can become involved next year! It’s never too early or late to be involved. During my three years on the Lazaridis Students’ Society and other organizations, I have gained invaluable tools and skills that I can transfer to both my professional and personal life. Not to mention, I’ve been able to connect with my peers and really make a difference in the school.
If you want to gain similar experiences, I encourage you to check out the positions we are hiring for. There is a club out there for everyone!
Applications are open for Executive positions on the the Lazaridis Students’ Society and President positions on our affiliated clubs and associations for the 2016/17 term. The wide variety of opportunities and additional details can be found at www.lazsoc.ca/hiring. All applications are due on Wednesday, March 9 at 11:59PM. If you have any questions please feel free to email the incoming Vice President team at email@example.com.
Vice President of Corporate Relations
The Lazaridis Students’ Society is looking for students to join our 2016-2017 team and our clubs and associations are hiring for Club Presidents!
Check out www.lazsoc.ca/hiring/ to find a listing of all available positions and their applications. Please direct any questions to the email found on the job position page. Successful candidates will serve a one-year term from May 1, 2016 to April 30, 2017.
Applications close on Wednesday, March 9 at 11:59 PM. Apply NOW!
Last Minute Merchandise Sale!
Missed out on buying the awesome Lazaridis Students’ Society business casual merchandise this term OR want to buy MORE!? Here’s your chance to buy some gear at a special price of just $10 for ONE week only!
Join us from Monday, March 7 until Thursday, March 10 from 9 AM – 3:30 PM at our booth in the Peters Building to check out all the incredible deals. We only have a LIMITED STOCK on hand at our booth and will accept CASH ONLY.
Buy Your Year End Gala Tickets TODAY
A warm night in New Orleans. Flashes of bright colours fill the streets as parade floats engulfed in masks, feathers, dancers, and costumes make their way through the city. Dozens of beads are thrown your way as you celebrate the night away with your friends.
This year’s Year End Gala theme is…MARDI GRAS! At this carnival-themed spectacle you will enjoy a three-course meal, awards ceremony, and a dance to end off the night and celebrate the year’s successes.
Year End Gala focuses on the accomplishments of our Clubs & Associations. Their efforts, dedication, and commitment will be recognized at the award ceremony; and celebrate the achievements of our student volunteers!
Ticket sales end on March 14th at 11:59PM! Buy your ticket now!
TICKETS: $20 (Lazaridis students); $30 (non-Lazaridis students)
GUESTS: Lazaridis Clubs & Associations members plus their guests
LOCATION: Crowne Plaza Kitchener-Waterloo
DATE: Saturday, March 19
TIME: Cocktail Hour at 6:00PM, Dinner served at 7:00PM
DRESS: Semi-Formal Attire
TRANSPORTATION: Bus Waves from the Music Underpass at 5:30PM and 6:00 PM
Meet Leanne Hagarty, BU111/121 Professor
Leanne earned her Honours BBA at Wilfrid Laurier University in 1991 and was a Teaching Assistant for BU 111 and 121 in her Senior Year. She spent 9 years in the field of Commercial Finance with CIBC and then Canada Trust, holding a variety of front-line lending manager positions, as well as regional and head office positions. From 1998-2000, Leanne taught Introductory Math and Small Business Management courses at Conestoga College. In 2001, she began teaching at Laurier. She teaches first year introductory business classes and has a special interest in civility in the classroom, academic success strategies and support of the ‘whole’ student.
What has been your favourite course to teach at Laurier thus far?
No comment! I only teach BU 111 and BU 121 so if I pick one, I’ll end up with either Sofy or Laura mad at me: No thanks! 🙂
In your opinion, what are the keys to succeeding in BU111/121?
- Read and understand the course syllabus early and often, and load all the due dates into multiple calendars
- Proactively read the project instructions and rubrics
- Map out time for preparing for lectures, labs, project work and reviewing material for the whole semester
Use an ‘Athletic’ Approach for Classes/Labs/Group Work:
- Attend classes and work hard while you are there (focus, concentrate, take detailed notes and remove distractions)
- Prepare for your labs and group work meetings
- Participate to the best of your ability in lecture, labs, group work – what you put in is what you get out!
- Be the group member/team mate you want your group members/team mates to be
- I call this an athletic approach because athletes that perform well in games attend every practice, work extremely hard and challenge themselves to improve while they are there, prepare themselves mentally and physically and place a high value on living up to their peers’ expectations. If students used the same approach for academics, they would perform better.
Utilize the available resources:
- SI Study Sessions, Professor and TA Office Hours, Writing Centre, Business Librarian, Academic Advising, Wellness Centre and the list goes on. If you need help with anything, we can provide support. We want you to succeed.
Qualities of outstanding Laurier BBA/Econ students?
- Hard working
- Humble, self-reflective and open to constructive feedback
- Balanced (realize that development and care for your whole self, not just your academic self, is important)
- Patient (it takes time to adjust to University life)
One piece of advice that you can lend to young people entering the business world?
Show interest in and respect for people at every level of an organization that you work for. You have a fantastic degree but they have experience and it’s valuable, no matter what their role is.
Who are business leaders that inspire you?
Sharon Hapton, Founder and Chief Executive Officer of Soup Sisters and Broth Brothers, an innovative multi-sided social enterprise.
Lisa Gansky, Entrepreneur, Investor, Author of “The Mesh: Why the Future of Business is Sharing” and Founder of Mesh Labs, a global directory for the sharing economy.
And some totally awesome Laurier entrepreneurial grads like Mike Morrice (Sustainable Waterloo Region), Greg Overholt (SOS), Nicole Almond (President of Enactus Canada), Carson Kolberg (Meal in a Jar), Emily Rudow (Oneiric). I could go on and on – they make us proud!
Each week, look forward to a Weekly Feature with exclusive Q+A’s and interviews with business leaders, alumni, and faculty. You won’t find this information anywhere else! Have a question you want to ask? Submit yours today!
Coffee Break returns! The Lazaridis Students’ Society will be giving back to students by providing free coffee and snacks. Come find us from 11:30 AM – 1 PM outside the Lazaridis Students’ Society Office (located to the right of Peters 1025/27, and across from Tim Hortons). Stop by and learn about the resources our organization has available for you, how you can get involved in the Lazaridis community, and (of course) grab a free coffee!
Coffee Date with LMA!
The Laurier Marketing Association would like to invite YOU on a coffee date this Wednesday, March 9th! Two of our talented marketing execs will treat you to a cup of coffee (or hot chocolate), while providing great conversation and insights into their Laurier experience! You can ask questions about LMA, their work experience and aspirations, and anything else you want to talk about!
RSVP for more details on the two lovely execs you can meet: https://www.facebook.com/events/1302221569804593/
- It's always a good time to celebrate. #YEG2017 ticket sales end in ONE WEEK, grab yours at https://t.co/lYdsvGXXJc https://t.co/iJcKDiXhZs
- Polish that resume, give back to the community and get involved as a student volunteer for 2017-18 year! https://t.co/Xhu48GUEoI to apply
- @JoshuaHsieh_ hi! These processes take a while. We will be in touch with you shortly
- @bbcanfan3 Yes! You most definitely can apply